Voyager Youth Program works with Foundations, Nonprofits, the private sector, and public health agencies at the local, state, and national levels to ensure that we have the best resources available for substance abuse prevention. Most importantly, we align all our programs with current standards of evidence; in other words, we only do what has been proven to reduce rates of substance use and abuse among youth.
Voyager provides and supports age-appropriate, evidence-based prevention curricula and resources for Ouray County school districts that meet educational standards and suit the individual school's needs.
Healthy Kids Colorado Survey Results for Ouray County
Every two years, Voyager delivers this valuable survey on youth risk behaviors and attitudes as part of a state-wide effort to understand youth needs and issues. Here are the results of our past surveys.
In order to make healthy choices, youth need a lot more than the admonition to "just say no." That's why Voyager Youth Program invests heavily in evidence-based, nationally recognized substance abuse prevention programs. As part of our strategic prevention plan, we train staff to implement programs in local schools that are proven to delay the onset of risk behaviors, or help youth to avoid risk-behaviors out-right.
Current prevention programs available at Ridgway and Ouray Schools include:
- Homework Help free tutoring
- Positive Action- a life skills and substance abuse prevention program for seventh graders.
- Project Toward No Drug Abuse-an effective drug abuse prevention program for middle school youth.
- Community Action-Basecamp offers a variety of Community Action opportunities including childcare, working at second chance, and more!
- Leadership-Basecamp offers leadership opportunities at our teen center and through our Youth Engagement Group.
- Lunch Groups- an opportunity to address social & emotional issues in a supportive environment, hosted in collaboration with Juvenile Diversion, for seventh and eighth graders
- Post-graduation Prep series--adulting series for juniors and seniors to help prepare them for independence.
- Prevention Week and the annual Safe & Sober After Prom Party- an intensive education week with a mock accident every fourth year followed by a big celebration each April, for high school students, in collaboration with Juvenile Diversion
- Free Teen Center- Open Monday-Thursday After school-5:30pm. Open during the summer Monday-Thursday 11:00am-5:30pm. Food, Drinks, Netflix, Games, Outdoor sports and MORE!