Every year Voyager Youth Program, in collaboration with Juvenile Diversion of Ouray County, offers “Lunch Group” for 7th and 8th grade boys and girls. The objective of Lunch Group is to instill self-awareness, self-esteem and self-respect among the students. When the boys and girls groups meet separately, each are facilitated by adult professionals. Meetings take place on school premises during lunch time. If Lunch Group goes off campus permission slips will be sent home prior to that event. Lunches are provided by Voyager Youth Program, Juvenile Diversion of Ouray County, or donated by local businesses.
While the first meeting is voluntary, if a participant chooses to continue with Lunch Group they are expected to attend all meetings from that time on, unless the student has a valid excuse.
INTENTION OF LUNCH GROUP:
- · To provide a safe space to talk about the truth of one’s life, and to help create a safe, caring space where others can talk about their truth without being judged or criticized.
- · To practice creating trust between students.
- · To provide an opportunity for students to experience that they are not alone
- · To provide a place where students can look deeply at their lives, their choices and the way they behave towards themselves and others in order to make conscious, self-loving and self determining choices.
- · To support critical thinking
- · To provide a place to discuss the effects of perceived historical, social, political, economic, cultural, environmental, psychological and spiritual realities in our lives.
- · To provide a place where participants can get feedback about the issues they face, if they want it.
- · To support the growth of healthy relationships.
- · To provide a place where students can share their lives openly and honestly with each other.
- · To provide a place adults and young people can share their wisdom and life experiences with each other.
- · To provide a place to practice interpersonal and group conflict resolution while exercising respect, patience, compassion, empathy, understanding and forgiveness for self and others.
- · To provide a place where “mistakes” can be discussed and worked through.
- · To promote understanding between people of different cultures, genders, generations and beliefs.
- To provide an opportunity to develop intuition, self-esteem and self-consciousness.